Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Walking the Martial Way (continued)



...from then point on I became a student of Tai Chi Chuan, a beautiful and profound art form, that comes to us from China. I felt very good doing Tai Chi to an extent that I decided to join a school, so I could have other people to study with. It was wonderful to become a part of an esteemed group of mature practitioners.

During that time (which was around the year 2004) I also got to know something called Tensegrity, also known as the Magical Passes, that have been passed to us from Carlos Castaneda, and his Meso-American teachings on perception, awareness, and the way of warriorship. Although I have heard about Tensegrity through my hippy-dippy circuits, I haven't really experienced much of it. I found Tensegrity very interesting and worth studying, for it gave me another tool to see and understand energy - a Universal occurrence that is the underlying fabric of matter. I found some similarities between the practice of Tensegrity and Tai Chi. Both of them attempt at seeing energy, although Tai Chi refers to that skill as listening. 

Tensegrity doesn't consider itself to be a martial art, in the same way as karate or ju jutsu do, it aims at exploring the energy of ourselves as humans, our potential, as well as Cosmic energy. Needless to say, it helps to read a little bit (or all) of Carlos Castaneda's books before, or during embarking on that path. It will clarify many things, and give you something to ponder about.

After a few years of such practice my teacher taught me Tai Chi Sword form and fencing. Meanwhile I was profusely reading books on martial arts and swordsmanship, including some very important Japanese treatises such as the Demon Sermon on Martial Arts, and the Book of 5 Rings among many others. I found Japanese swordsmanship fascinating, and felt that it complemented my Tai Chi with its realness and fearsomeness, well, at least at that time that is what I thought a true swordsman has to project and cultivate.

Back to the chuan, or the hand arts, I was getting to know a fascinating Japanese art called Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu, a precursor to Aikido. Daito Ryu comes from the Aizu clan and it is a jujutsu, which has a great number techniques and principles that all come from the sword. As per Kondo sensei, who is the leader of the school in Japan, the 6 root principles of Daito Ryu are rei - ethiquette, kuzushi - breaking opponents balance, kokuyho - flow and breath, maai - distance, metsuke - gaze, intention, and zanshin - full awareness after the technique is performed. Although I can't claim any formal training in Daito ryu, I find this art fascinating, and very useful.

Parallely, I researched Ninpo as taught by Hatsumi Sensei, a luminary teacher of the ninjutsu arts. Hatsumi Sensei's writings, and later DVD's and Youtube opened my eyes on many things that have to do with what "martial" is, is not, and should be. I guess, I felt a bit of a vacuum and was looking for deeper understanding of the martial way, or as it is known in Japanese, the BUDO. I knew that although the Tai Chi that I studied was a full system, it didn't mean that knowledge and skill would come to me automatically. Hatsumi Sensei is an unparalleled master of improvisation, and is the only person that I know of, that has never repeated the same technique twice. Hatsumi Sensei has taught me to remain open, and not have any preconceived notions about encounters, always not-thinking, always reacting spontaneously. A great Dao and a great art will make a great artist...

...To be Continued

No comments :

Post a Comment